This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maximum operating temperature
Hi, I've been testing the temperature on the Tinker board, and find mine is sitting at about 78 degrees when its active (which is all the time), I was wondering what sort of temperature do I need to consider replacing the stock heat sink?

The spec for the RK3288 chip says the operating temperature is -40C to +85C, so I would assume thats the maximum recommended temperature, how bad is it to be around it, and occasionally over it (in hot weather i guess).

Thanks
You need a fan otherwise it may crash

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sunon-Maglev-...2536974442

ive ordered the above, hopefully it will be less noisy than the one i have
Just enlarging the heatsink made it stabilize at 55°C. I didn't want a fan, because I use it to watch TV and Videos, and a constant "brrrr" sound is kind of annoying.
(12-14-2017, 08:41 AM)Vapalus Wrote: Just enlarging the heatsink made it stabilize at 55°C. I didn't want a fan, because I use it to watch TV and Videos, and a constant "brrrr" sound is kind of annoying.

You could try running a small 12V fan at 5V and see if the noise is annoying.
This was my solution too. An inch-tall salvaged heat sink from an old motherboard on top of the stock sink, and I haven't had any issues. We have used LibreELEC on it every day for a few months. You definitely don't _need_ a fan.