This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can tinkerboard change usb electric current??
I want to connect portable hard disk to tinkerboard,but i try connect, tinkerboar is easy to crash. It seems raspberry can change current? What about tinkerboard??

any one help!!
(08-31-2017, 09:30 AM)nealscut Wrote: I want to connect portable hard disk to tinkerboard,but i try connect, tinkerboar is easy to crash. It seems raspberry can change current? What about tinkerboard??

any one help!!

Depends. What is your charger/power supply rated for? The TB itself can eat up to 1.8A (tested during high CPU usage), and adding keyboard and mouse bumps it up to 2A (also tested).
The power consumption of all devices (in amps) adds together, and if it exceeds the power supply rating, the tinker board can crash, or even worse, the power supply itself can get damaged.
I'm in no way an Tinker Board expert, I have it only for couple days, but that is general behaviour of electronics.
I used a VERY high quality 2A charger, I would say the best 2A charger available in the Czech Republic, and the TB crashed sometimes, so I had to order a 3A supply (for Banana Pi  Cool ) and now it runs good even with USB peripherals.
EDIT: cheap chargers are liars, before I bought the good (and expensive) one, I used one that was rated for 2.5A which cost me literaly 4 dollars, I brought it home, connected to a dummy load and measured that it gives up at 1.2A, then it just reduces voltage.
EDIT2: I returned it, they gave me back my money, and they had to remove it from stock
You may need an external power supply for an external USB hard disk drive. Most have a power socket
If it's a mechanical hard drive it will definitely need it
(08-31-2017, 09:30 AM)nealscut Wrote: I want to connect portable hard disk to tinkerboard,but i try connect, tinkerboar is easy to crash. It seems raspberry can change current? What about tinkerboard??

any one help!!

Hi nealscut,

The Tinker Board's USB total can provide up to 1.2A Current.
But...it also mean you need a more powerful's adaptor(Power) to push them.