This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't seem to use my Acer DVI monitor
Greetings, folks.
This is my first post here, so please be gentle Wink

It's about my newest purchase: my TinkerBoard.
First, please let me say I have a handful of Raspberry Pi 3s, and they all work with my monitor, so I know it's not the monitor.

As the title suggests, I can't get any output on my monitor from the TinkerBoard. It keeps saying "unsupported mode".

Now, I have an HDMI to DVI cable as a connection.
I am using a CanaKit 5v, 2.5A power supply. That "should" do the trick, power-wise.

The board has been mounted in an Eleduino aluminum case, and the stock heatsink has been carefully applied.
I have even added a heatsink to the Ethernet chip, and a pair of 1mm thick, 15x15mm copper squares to the memory chips for heat management as a precaution. The case has a 30mm fan blowing into it to allow for heat dissipation and venting.
I'm using a reliable USB keyboard and mouse.
Sadly, I don't have ready access to a CAT6 connection to my router where I am set up, so WiFi will have to do (when I get that far)
The MicroSD card I am trying to mount these OS images from, is a PNY 32GB U3 "Turbo Performance" card that I can verify as "Good".

I have tried the following image files:
     20170703-tinker-board-linaro-stretch-alip-v1.9
     TinkerBoard-Lubuntu16.04.2LTS-ELAR-Systems-v3.0
     TinkerBoard_Ubuntu16.04.2LTS_LXQT_ELAR-Systems-v1.0
     DietPi_v149_AsusTinkerBoard-armv7-(Jessie)

All of these have not resulted in access to my monitor, and I can't even try to access it remotely (headlessly), as I can't get it to access my WiFi until I set it up somehow...

The monitor I have available is an Acer "AL1916W A" that can handle 1440 by 900 resolution. It has VGA and DVI input input options.

Additionally, I have tried to connect to my (somewhat ancient) Samsung HDMI TV, also to no avail.

Perhaps my expectations of this board were a bit high after the success I have had with the RPi3s, but ASUS has been around for a lot longer than the Pi folks. I just figured that they'd have things like basic monitor output down pat.

Looks like I'm wrong.

Is there an OS image out there that has things like this all nailed down, or am I going to have to wait for an updated TinkerOS version?
You'd think things like the Ubuntu or Lubuntu images might work off the shelf...

Anyone have a straightforward fix to try? I'm all ears!
My personal preference is the Lubuntu option, but I want to be open to anything that will let me get my nice, new TinkerBoard singing as soon as I can!

For reference, I have a Windows 10 system available as a "support machine", as well as a RPi3 running Lubuntu 16.04 LTS, if need be.

Thanks in advance! I look forward to working with the folks here, and seeing what this little board can actually do!
The Lord of All Things Dark and Evil
(currently re-assigned as The Tooth Fairy due to a paperwork mishap...)
I have had lots of issues with Tinker and monitors myself. Most of my displays are very old (pre 2010) since I haven't had a need for more than 1920x1080 at 24". So, the only completely reliable displays I have are my TV, which is only a couple years old and, ironically, a old 19" flat panel Dell 1901FP from 2003. My 3 other Dells either flicker on and off repeatedly or can't be set to their native res.

This is definitely OS dependent, though. The latest beta TinkerOS seems fine on my main monitor. The latest Android beta only works on the TV. Armbian is fine with the 4.4 kernel, but can only be setup up at a low res for the -next and -dev kernels. Flint (the chromeos port) seems fine, although I haven't tried it on every monitor.

And, to be clear, no other computer / video card / OS / monitor combination has ever given me trouble.

FIXES: (1) Do try a different power supply. Make sure to have as little plugged in as possible. Use a powered USB hub. A lot of people recommend the 3-port USB charger from Ikea called "KOPPLA". I picked up a couple yesterday and it is definitely better than the 5.25V 2400mA power module that came with my Pi3. Plug your Tinker into it with your shortest USB cable.

(2) Try FlintOS. If that works, at least you know the hardware is fine and that it is just an OS issue that will probably end up resolved.
(08-30-2017, 07:01 AM)BeauSlim Wrote: I have had lots of issues with Tinker and monitors myself.  Most of my displays are very old (pre 2010) since I haven't had a need for more than 1920x1080 at 24".  So, the only completely reliable displays I have are my TV, which is only a couple years old and, ironically, a  old 19" flat panel Dell 1901FP from 2003.  My 3 other Dells either flicker on and off repeatedly or can't be set to their native res.  

This is definitely OS dependent, though.  The latest beta TinkerOS seems fine on my main monitor.  The latest Android beta only works on the TV.  Armbian is fine with the 4.4 kernel, but can only be setup up at a low res for the -next and -dev kernels. Flint (the chromeos port) seems fine, although I haven't tried it on every monitor.  

And, to be clear, no other computer / video card / OS / monitor combination has ever given me trouble.  

FIXES:  (1) Do try a different power supply.  Make sure to have as little plugged in as possible. Use a powered USB hub.  A lot of people recommend the 3-port USB charger from Ikea called "KOPPLA".  I picked up a couple yesterday and it is definitely better than the 5.25V 2400mA power module that came with my Pi3.  Plug your Tinker into it with your shortest USB cable.  

(2) Try FlintOS.  If that works, at least you know the hardware is fine and that it is just an OS issue that will probably end up resolved.
Thanks for the reply!

I have a different powered hub, but everything still (doesn't) run as expected, so I am guessing it's not the power supply issue.

Next is the FlintOS suggestion.
Found the source page, and have headed for the burn...
Next is popping it into my TB and hitting the power button on my bar...

O.K. The screen has come to life, and FlintOS is now living on my TinkerBox!

Not my first (or even second) choice of OS, but it at least gets things rolling, and I know for sure it's not a dead board! That alone is a relief.

If I had a ChromeBook account, it might be more useful.
Somehow, I think I am not the only person out here that wants nothing to do with that level of personal information commitment, so I'll just have to wait for a version of Lubuntu so I can do more than just "Browse as a Guest" on my newest system.

Again, thank you for your reply! At least I have some measurable progress with this board.

Now I just wonder who I have to poke with a stick to get things moving Wink
TLoATDaE: I have also a DVI monitor which is not supported by 20170703-tinker-board-linaro-stretch-alip-v1.9, but if I remember correctly it was working with V1.8. It might be worth to try...

For checking the hardware you can also try LibreElec:
https://github.com/Kwiboo/LibreELEC.tv/releases
I am very happy with this and it worked with my DVI monitor without any problem. However, I guess you are looking for stable Linux OS and I feel this needs some more time... or you just update your monitor... ;-)
A quick follow-up: I just tried the TinkerOS 2.0.1 beta on all my monitors. It seems to have solved all the problems I have had with resolution and blanking. Other people have mentioned that they have more problems with 2.0.1 than with previous versions, so your mileage may vary. Worth trying, though, because it will give you all the ASUS supported features (gpio, hardware video acceleration, etc.):

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Linu....1.img.zip
Smile 
(08-31-2017, 12:46 PM)TLoATDaE Wrote:
(08-31-2017, 02:52 AM)BeauSlim Wrote: A quick follow-up:  I just tried the TinkerOS 2.0.1 beta on all my monitors.  It seems to have solved all the problems I have had with resolution and blanking.  Other people have mentioned that they have more problems with 2.0.1 than with previous versions, so your mileage may vary.  Worth trying, though, because it will give you all the ASUS supported features (gpio, hardware video acceleration, etc.):  

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Linu....1.img.zip

Thanks for the link!
I will download that and give it a try as soon as I get enough consciousness to do so.
I work midnight shift, and my week just started, so I'll have to try at some point soon.

Also, the suggestion above of LibreElec may be of use, too.
That's what having a few MicroSD cards is all about Wink

Once I have something to report, I'll post the results.

Thanks again for the feedback, folks!
Looks like the development process is slow, but moving in the right direction at least.
Save

UPDATE:
I have burned that image, and it does work! That part is great! Big Grin

Now, all I need is the default user name and password so I can actually do things with this image, and life will be OK.
Perhaps there is a link to the default information associated with that image somewhere? Am I just missing it?

I just found the reference page on ASUS's site, so life is good. Cool

Thanks again for the follow-up and useful links!
Now, if we (as a community) can get the Ubuntu and Lubuntu angle sorted out...
Maybe if I tried to do a "full install" of Ubuntu it might work. Now, if I can just figure out how to do that on my TinkerBoard, I'll be in business.
Of course, then I have to add the I2C RTC, and the right-click "Empty Trash" functionality of the trash bin, but I am getting ahead of myself now...
Still waiting for my external WiFi antenna's to arrive in the mail as well

I wonder if the OSMC site will have something eventually, too.

Ah, progress! At least there is progress!
Greetings, all!

After poking around in the newest iteration of TinkerOS, I have noticed that I have no sound.

Of note here, is the fact that I am running my Video Output through an HDMI to DVI cable on the aforementioned monitor, and have a set of speakers plugged into the audio port.

I am still having no luck with (L)ubuntu images. FlintOS is OK, but I can't truly utilize it, as I have no Chrome Login, and do not want to really get one at this point.

So, the Beta is kind-of, sort-of working. I just have no sound, and there does not seem to be any way to install Firefox that I can see.

Looks like I am still stalled in doing much of anything with this little Wonder of a board...

I just wish that something as simple as an older Monitor wouldn't be such a limiting factor in using my new board.

Any further suggestions? Maybe a stpe-by-step set of instructions for installing Ubuntu from ground zero on this board, via the USB?

Just fishing for hope now...
Have you tried the lubuntu v3
Image from elar-systems.com
Everything works apart from hardware graphic
Acceleration, plus no chromium.

Ok read your first post you have tried lubuntu v3

I have about three PC monitors, the one that
Gives me the most trouble is my
1440 by 900 monitor, but I don't use it much so don't care.

You could try this thread
https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/thread-262.html

I.e. boot lubuntu v3 onto another monitor or tv which works
From terminal type
CVT 1440 900
From the thread instructions paste this mode into
The modesetting.conf file, I tried this and it worked but I don't think I tried it with lubuntu
Quote:I am still having no luck with (L)ubuntu images. FlintOS is OK, but I can't truly utilize it, as I have no Chrome Login, and do not want to really get one at this point.

So, the Beta is kind-of, sort-of working. I just have no sound, and there does not seem to be any way to install Firefox that I can see.

Just fyi, a "Chrome" login is just a gmail/google account.  I _completely_ understand if you don't want google tracking you, but you could just create a throw away google account (with a false name) and log into Flint.  

As far as sound goes, yeah, it's odd.  Some OSes label HDMI sound and/or normal stereo jack output strangely.  Try all the outputs even if they say "USB" or something that looks wrong.
(09-06-2017, 07:56 AM)Z80 Wrote: Have you tried the lubuntu v3
Image from elar-systems.com
Everything works apart from hardware graphic
Acceleration, plus no chromium.

Ok read your first post you have tried lubuntu v3

I have about three PC monitors, the one that
Gives me the most trouble is my
1440 by 900 monitor, but I don't use it much so don't care.

You could try this thread
https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/thread-262.html

I.e. boot lubuntu v3 onto another monitor or tv which works
From terminal type
CVT 1440 900
From  the thread instructions paste this mode into
The modesetting.conf file, I tried this and it worked but I don't think I tried it with lubuntu
Now, I have used one of my main monitors borrowed from my work station (LG 1920x1080) to get things booted, then switched resolution to 1440x900. Once settled in that resolution, I switched to my Acer. The display came to life, and it seemed stable!  Big Grin

The info I got from the cvt 1440 900 command was as follows:

Modeline "1440x900_60.00" 106.50 1440 1528 1672 1904  900 903 909 934 -hsync +vsync

OK, I am trying to follow these instructions, and running into a notable problem:
I can't find, nor do I have permission to create a directory called "xorg.conf.d", let alone create or edit a file (like 20-modesetting.conf)...
This is under the linaro lubuntu v3 image (found here: http://www.elar-systems.com/website/inde...-downloads)...

Talk about frustrating! I finally have a minute, and can get to this little project, and WHAM! Brick Wall time! Rolleyes

So, my next question is: How do I get into this with permission? The reference says the following:
=====================
# User: root , Password: elar-systems
# User: Tinker , Password: tinker

Any help in both finding the needed conf file, and getting permission to edit/save it would go a long way to maintaining my sanity at this point.

I suspect this is now a Lubuntu thing, and someone with more where-with-all than I have will have to let us know where it's all going wrong at this point.

I felt so spoiled with the RPi version of the Lubuntu install images... This is certainly not the same stuff. Of course, it's fairly early into the Tinker Board release, and there isn't much Polish to things yet. I have to remind myself to have patience, and things will eventually get more streamlined.

Save