This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Additional Heatsinks
My tinker board arrives tomorrow. I have a few spare raspberry pi heatsinks laying around, I was wondering if anyone has more than one heat sink installed on their tinker board? And if so in what spots?
It comes with a larger heat-sink than the PI.  I tried sticking a pi on top of the larger heat-sink and it didn't help any.
I use a small fan that lowered it to 35 Celsius.  The CPU/GPU does get hot.
TinkerOS Debian v1.9 is so very fast.  I am amazed.
Thank you for the repl but my question is can additional heatsinks be added like in the lan chip or other black chips I see on the pictures.
(07-26-2017, 05:44 PM)Smiley85 Wrote: Thank you for the repl but my question is can additional heatsinks be added like in the lan chip or other black chips I see on the pictures.

There's the 5mm x 5mm RK808 power regulator chip, that can get hot, if you've got a small enough heat sink, that's a good place to put one.
Thank you I will try that. What about the Bluetooth/wifi chip?
(07-27-2017, 01:05 AM)Smiley85 Wrote: Thank you I will try that. What about the Bluetooth/wifi chip?

Nah, that'll be fine. Processor and 808, that'll be all. If you're expecting to be doing heavy workloads that generate a lot of heat, also consider GPIO power and a fan to ensure sufficient power supply and cooling.
Ok got it, thank you.
I happened to have a larger heat sink sitting around. It's 4cm x 4cm x 3cm. I just set it on top of the included sink, which provides a "riser" so the bigger sink doesn't touch the gpio pins. I'm surprised how much it helps even without thermal paste. Without it, running Kodi at 1080p i see temps around 80C. With it, 60C. I'm planning to replace the Asus sink with a copper or aluminum block and thermal glue everything together.

I have my TB in one of those red and white official RPi cases, with the removable top hatch. Perfect for the TB, because you pretty much never want it sealed in a case.