This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rants and first impressions after 1st week.
I am using 1.8 of tinker OS

Well, my first impressions have been mostly disappointing.
I am not a pro but I have had success with RPi and my Linux HTPC.
To start, I am first trying to use this as a "Daily driver" for email,youtube etc. I'm trying to not use my 1200w gaming PC to check my mail and watch cat videos. This board looks amazing, on paper.I want to like this board but...

cons: 

The random logout problem drove me nuts until i fixed that,sorta. If I do get the log in screen it will not accept ANY username/password so I have to reboot.

I cannot get headphones working properly with a microphone, analog or bluetooth. I can get my G930's to play sound with the included dongle but no mic.
I can get my H600's to connect via bluetooth but when I select them in the mixer, Pulse Audio reboots and the H600's disappear from the list.

Youtube video playback in full screen is just awful at 1080 or even 720p. My old RPi2 was smooth.

Twitch is unwatchable as well, it just buffers...

It has a difficulty setting the time to my network, sometimes it works right away and sometime I have to fiddle with it. Wired or wireless. I may get a RTC for it from Adafruit.

Can't seem to get Samba working so far but i'm looking into that.

The desktop manager kept crashing in the "jessy" load making it unusable but "sketch" is just fine.

Pro's:

It's ASUS so it's gonna get better.

The instructions were clear and I was up and running right away.

It fits in one an many RPi cases even with the included heat-sink, mine is a cheap-o $7 one that I velcro'd to the back of a monitor. Nice.

Chromium is snappy and even with 6-8 tabs open, it's better than my old RPi.

The include Python software is nice as I want to learn it on this device.

I have not run into the power sensitivity problems some have had thankfully. I has worked on a variety of power bricks.

In closing:

All in all I think this board will be better once some of the kinks are knocked out. I am just upset that it didn't perform basic functions out of the box. I will keep working with it until my sanity runs out. I have been all over the net looking for help with certain things with limited success. It's new after all.

I have found that most of the Linux community assumes a certain level of skill/knowledge and skip the basics in forums. I muttle through but it slows me down.
I am not a pro and do not pretend to be one. I just like neat stuff like this. My experience has mostly been with my HTPC's and Steam Machine build with some RPi but not much.

I apologize for this being more Rant than anything else.
I am looking forward to what this board can be.
Please be patient with me and people like me.

Thank You.

Update:
I sent mine back for a new one. Amazon was great.
All the reviews showed it playing video without shudder so it must be a bad board. The new one came in ant it DOES play youtube videos much better i have to admit but Twitch is still crap.
Also, the login problem i'm having still goes on. If I change the user name and password I then cannot login if the screen times out. The new password works fine for software installs and such. weird. I tried to change it back to the default "linaro" and it locked up so I am reloading the SD card AGAIN.  Huh
Wish me luck.

another update:
I used a 64gb SD card and Youtube AND Twitch are working fine now, even at 1080p full-screen. Weird.
So the login problem persist, I actually got it to accept my new credentials today but when i went to set the time the screen went blank and then popped the login screen again. I would not accept ANY login so back to the drawing board.
(05-20-2017, 08:49 PM)vwtazz Wrote: I have found that most of the Linux community assumes a certain level of skill/knowledge and skip the basics in forums. I muttle through but it slows me down.
I am not a pro and do not pretend to be one.
"Therein lies the rub"
One of the aims of the rpi founders was to encourage the rediscovery of lost skills/knowledge that computer/software vendors deemed too complex for the general public to learn, to teach the next generation of engineers/programmers and tinkerers the fundamental skills they will need to progress.
The "Click/Tap" generation simply does not get "Coding" and operating a computer by a command line interface is coding to a degree. It's a start and a useful one to learn, to begin to understand what underpins the "Click/Tap" GUI interfaces including this one, as I write this post.
Its good to learn. and being able to crack a problem in fiddly text and command, in the long run,  means you will know how to get their quicker in the future.
If you want you cake and eat it, buy an Apple IOS device and fire and forget.....the rest of us will twiddle/fiddle and struggle on, because its in the end....fun!
i have a tinker along with raspberry pi's, Odroid and beagle black, first thing I do is make an install script, I use them as servers mainly and create a script to give each the full LAMP set, below is the first part of the script for the ASUS tinker

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python
import subprocess
import os
import time
#must use sd card with the latest version of Tinker OS 1.8
print 'updating - mypiasus-16.0.5 - using Tinker OS 1.8'
subprocess.call(['apt-get','update'])
print 'upgrading'
subprocess.call(['apt-get','-y','upgrade'])
print 'dist-upgrading'
subprocess.call(['apt-get','-y','dist-upgrade'])
print 'install samba ntfs'
time.sleep(10)
subprocess.call(['apt-get','install','-y','samba','libnss-winbind','winbind','ntfs-3g','cifs-utils'])
print 'install python bits'
time.sleep(10)
subprocess.call(['apt-get','install','-y','python-pip','python-doc','python-tk','python-pygame','git','python-dev','python-setuptools'])
print 'install remote desktop'
time.sleep(10)
subprocess.call(['apt-get','install','-y','xrdp','xorgxrdp','cron'])
print 'install apache and php'
time.sleep(10)
subprocess.call(['apt-get','install','-y','apache2','php','libapache2-mod-php','php-gd','php-imap','php-ldap','php-curl'])
print 'install mariadb'
time.sleep(10)
subprocess.call(['apt-get','install','-y','mariadb-server','mariadb-client','php-mysql','python-mysql.connector','python-mysqldb','i2c-tools','python-smbus','python-termcolor'])

samba seems to work, the above gives you samba, git, full LAMP, cron and remote desktop.
I have not had any real problems apart from stability, I run them 24/7 as yet the tinker don't get past a week when I have had pi's online for almost 2 years. could be me and my software as I wrote it for the pi/
im doing something right.

llinaro@tinker:~$ uptime
09:17:27 up 28 days, 13:36, 2 users, load average: 0.09, 0.11, 0.08
linaro@tinker:~$
(05-21-2017, 09:18 AM)boudicca Wrote: im doing something right.

09:17:27 up 28 days, 13:36,  2 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.11, 0.08

I am asking mine to do a lot, twice the sd card was dead, had to use a new card the third time had a 500gig hard drive connected I loaded ffmpeg and asked it to convert 400 wmv to mp4's again after a few days it hung up, have not investigated that yet, but I have a feeling it could be the 8gb sd card I am using, I had these problems with the pi at first until I found cards that worked well, I will have to get a different card and see, what card are you using?
(05-20-2017, 10:38 PM)boudicca Wrote:
(05-20-2017, 08:49 PM)vwtazz Wrote: I have found that most of the Linux community assumes a certain level of skill/knowledge and skip the basics in forums. I muttle through but it slows me down.
I am not a pro and do not pretend to be one.
"Therein lies the rub"
One of the aims of the rpi founders was to encourage the rediscovery of lost skills/knowledge that computer/software vendors deemed too complex for the general public to learn, to teach the next generation of engineers/programmers and tinkerers the fundamental skills they will need to progress.
The "Click/Tap" generation simply does not get "Coding" and operating a computer by a command line interface is coding to a degree. It's a start and a useful one to learn, to begin to understand what underpins the "Click/Tap" GUI interfaces including this one, as I write this post.
Its good to learn. and being able to crack a problem in fiddly  text and command, in the long run,  means you will know how to get their quicker in the future.
If you want you cake and eat it, buy an Apple IOS device and fire and forget.....the rest of us will twiddle/fiddle and struggle on, because its in the end....fun!

Hey, I rubbed a bit, I know but I have run into many impatient and sometimes hostile people in this community when I ask for basic help.
Look, I pre-date "Click/Tap". My first PC was an XT clone back in the 80's and I was a DOS man untill years after Win95 but I just cannot handle command lines like I used to, that's all.
Is it too much to ask for this product to work in it's basic form before I start experimenting? I'll keep with it but I am still disappointed so far.

(05-21-2017, 08:44 AM)johnb_summers Wrote: i have a tinker along with raspberry pi's, Odroid and beagle black, first thing I do is make an install script, I use them as servers mainly and create a script to give each the full LAMP set, below is the first part of the script for the ASUS tinker

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python
import subprocess
import os
import time
#must use sd card with the latest version of Tinker OS 1.8
print 'updating - mypiasus-16.0.5 - using Tinker OS 1.8'
subprocess.call(['apt-get','update'])
print 'upgrading'
subprocess.call(['apt-get','-y','upgrade'])
print 'dist-upgrading'
subprocess.call(['apt-get','-y','dist-upgrade'])
print 'install samba ntfs'
time.sleep(10)
subprocess.call(['apt-get','install','-y','samba','libnss-winbind','winbind','ntfs-3g','cifs-utils'])
print 'install python bits'
time.sleep(10)
subprocess.call(['apt-get','install','-y','python-pip','python-doc','python-tk','python-pygame','git','python-dev','python-setuptools'])
print 'install remote desktop'
time.sleep(10)
subprocess.call(['apt-get','install','-y','xrdp','xorgxrdp','cron'])
print 'install apache and php'
time.sleep(10)
subprocess.call(['apt-get','install','-y','apache2','php','libapache2-mod-php','php-gd','php-imap','php-ldap','php-curl'])
print 'install mariadb'
time.sleep(10)
subprocess.call(['apt-get','install','-y','mariadb-server','mariadb-client','php-mysql','python-mysql.connector','python-mysqldb','i2c-tools','python-smbus','python-termcolor'])

samba seems to work, the above gives you samba, git, full LAMP, cron and remote desktop.
I have not had any real problems apart from stability, I run them 24/7 as yet the tinker don't get past a week when I have had pi's online for almost 2 years. could be me and my software as I wrote it for the pi/

There is a lot going on there and i'm impressed. Thank you for the info. I'm taking another stab at SAMBA today. Wish me luck.

(05-21-2017, 09:29 AM)johnb_summers Wrote:

I am asking mine to do a lot, twice the sd card was dead, had to use a new card the third time had a 500gig hard drive connected I loaded ffmpeg and asked it to convert 400 wmv to mp4's again after a few days it hung up, have not investigated that yet, but I have a feeling it could be the 8gb sd card I am using, I had these problems with the pi at first until I found cards that worked well, I will have to get a different card and see, what card are you using?

I have two Ultra SanDisk 32GB MicroSDHC cards I bought from Amazon. One has "TinkerOS" on it and the other has "Android".

Awesome. I'm glad it's working for you. I have a goal of doing the same.  Big Grin
"Hey, I rubbed a bit, I know but I have run into many impatient and sometimes hostile people in this community when I ask for basic help.

Look, I pre-date "Click/Tap". My first PC was an XT clone back in the 80's and I was a DOS man untill years after Win95 but I just cannot handle command lines like I used to, that's all."

This place is not as bad as the raspberry pi forum where there a few of the mods and some older commenters that are nothing more than elitist bullies, you can get banned for saying that what they call a yacht is nothing more than a cabin cruiser with a long flag pole, I don't use the raspberry pi forum or offer help there, I rarely ask for help as I have spent my life on the front line and have attained patents in this, but would be willing to help those forums that don't have elitist bullies.

The code I gave is just a basic install code, I will over time as I get use to the tinker get to it in more depth and print out the code here in python, c and php, I am also making a website that has many working examples of circuits attached to the GPIO, I also love serial ports, i2c is my preferred method of expanding the GPIO, the website at mo is full of circuits for the raspberry pi, as of this moment I would prefer not to put the addresses here as I am new here, but I use the same name I did at the raspberry pi and the addresses are on that site that I cant remove because I cant log onto it.

But I grew up on MSDos to, before windows, I use to write many RS232 drivers for msdos back in the day when I worked for a leading communications PLC of that day.
(05-20-2017, 08:49 PM)vwtazz Wrote: ...I will keep working with it until my sanity runs out. I have been all over the net looking for help with certain things with limited success...

I hear ya...  I've been batting Linux around for a couple years and I usually bail after three or four months of banging my head against a wall.

Quote:I have found that most of the Linux community assumes a certain level of skill/knowledge and skip the basics in forums.

Agreed, and I think it's killing the OS.

The answer to any linux question is usually "That distro sucks, switch to [insert oddball spinoff here]" or "You need to install [samba/kernels/whackamole/whatever]" with no assistance on how to actually do that.  Oh, and I can't forget the ever popular "go back to Windows".

Recent example: Samba.  In about four different forums I've posted various attempts to connect to my samba NAS...  which is pretty much the entire purpose of my Tinker purchase.  The usual answer is "You need Samba, google it".  A) I know that, which is why asked for help getting Samba working.  B) Googling just leads me to some instructions on some weird distro that's "kind of like" Tinker, so it'll maybe work.  

The result:  I have about 20 packages installed now that have something to do with samba, because somewhere on google was some link that said they got samba working by installing 5 things.  Someone else used a different 5 things, etc.  Gigolo now works for me (kind of), but I have no idea if it's "just" Gigolo, or if it's the combination of Gigolo and those 19 other things.  Hopefully by the time i've done this 20 or 30 times for other things I want to try and added a couple hundred packages, Asus will have TinkerOS 2.0 with what is probably going to be two packages that make Samba work, at which point I will probably just nuke everything, install a clean image and I will have learned nothing more than how much of a PITA Linux is... again.

Don't get me wrong, there are helpful people out there, but usually they're so far down the linux rabbit hole that they're not actually that helpful to those of us who are still trying to figure out relatively simple things like how to stop LXDE logging in automatically. "Oh, it's simple, just recompile a kernel with FraggleHunters's anti-LXDE wedge and Robert's your dad's brother." (I totally made that up... don't taze me, bro.)

I have a few laptops running 24/7 doing things that could easily be done by Tinkers if I could get basic services workings.  They're old laptops, so I expect they're pulling 90 watt power supplies.  A Tinker or two could do this using a 10th of the power.  Some day they'll get there.  In the mean time, it's hella easier to just pay the electric bill and burn some more coal while I format another SD card.

Edit: That's not particularly indicative of this forum, just an observation of the linux community in general.  Most posters here seem to be relatively helpful.
(05-21-2017, 09:29 AM)johnb_summers Wrote:

Sandisk Ultra 16gb...sdhc
(05-21-2017, 04:17 PM)smthng Wrote:
(05-20-2017, 08:49 PM)vwtazz Wrote: ...I will keep working with it until my sanity runs out. I have been all over the net looking for help with certain things with limited success...

I hear ya...  I've been batting Linux around for a couple years and I usually bail after three or four months of banging my head against a wall.

Quote:I have found that most of the Linux community assumes a certain level of skill/knowledge and skip the basics in forums.

Agreed, and I think it's killing the OS.

The answer to any linux question is usually "That distro sucks, switch to [insert oddball spinoff here]" or "You need to install [samba/kernels/whackamole/whatever]" with no assistance on how to actually do that.  Oh, and I can't forget the ever popular "go back to Windows".

Recent example: Samba.  In about four different forums I've posted various attempts to connect to my samba NAS...  which is pretty much the entire purpose of my Tinker purchase.  The usual answer is "You need Samba, google it".  A) I know that, which is why asked for help getting Samba working.  B) Googling just leads me to some instructions on some weird distro that's "kind of like" Tinker, so it'll maybe work.  

The result:  I have about 20 packages installed now that have something to do with samba, because somewhere on google was some link that said they got samba working by installing 5 things.  Someone else used a different 5 things, etc.  Gigolo now works for me (kind of), but I have no idea if it's "just" Gigolo, or if it's the combination of Gigolo and those 19 other things.  Hopefully by the time i've done this 20 or 30 times for other things I want to try and added a couple hundred packages, Asus will have TinkerOS 2.0 with what is probably going to be two packages that make Samba work, at which point I will probably just nuke everything, install a clean image and I will have learned nothing more than how much of a PITA Linux is... again.

Don't get me wrong, there are helpful people out there, but usually they're so far down the linux rabbit hole that they're not actually that helpful to those of us who are still trying to figure out relatively simple things like how to stop LXDE logging in automatically. "Oh, it's simple, just recompile a kernel with FraggleHunters's anti-LXDE wedge and Robert's your dad's brother." (I totally made that up... don't taze me, bro.)

I have a few laptops running 24/7 doing things that could easily be done by Tinkers if I could get basic services workings.  They're old laptops, so I expect they're pulling 90 watt power supplies.  A Tinker or two could do this using a 10th of the power.  Some day they'll get there.  In the mean time, it's hella easier to just pay the electric bill and burn some more coal while I format another SD card.

Edit: That's not particularly indicative of this forum, just an observation of the linux community in general.  Most posters here seem to be relatively helpful.

I believe Levelonetechs has a t-shirt with "Your Distro Sucks" on it  Tongue