Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Announcement: Volumio on Tinkerboard
Music 
The Volumio Team is happy to announce support for Volumio on the Asus Tinkerboard platform.
It will be the first Audiophile Music Player available for the Tinkerboard.

Volumio is a free and Open Source Linux Distribution, designed and fine-tuned exclusively for music playback. 
This is made possible by Volumio’s UI: a web applications that runs on any device with a browser, and that allows an easy and intuitive control of your playback sessions. 
All communications between the webapp and Volumio will happen through your home network.

FEATURES
  • Minimal operating system, tailored for Bit-Perfect Audio Playback
  • Works with any USB 2.0 DAC
  • Supports all filetypes: FLAC, Alac, Aac, Vorbis, Mp3, DSD, DSF, WAV, WV, APE etc.
  • UPNP Playback
  • Airplay Playback
  • DSD Over PCM support, for non Direct-DSD compatible hardware
  • Integrated WebRadio directories
  • If a compatible wireless hardware is found, Volumio will create an hotspot network for first configuration
  • Mount CIFS and NFS Network Attached Storage, with an auto-discovery function
  • Custom playlist editing and creation
  • Plugin support with new functions available like Spotify and Digital Room Correction
  • Seamless update system: no need to reinstall when a new version is available
  • Multilanguage support with a growing number of translations available
  • Image background support, even your favourite one
  • Alarm and sleep function
For more information, see Volumio Home

We currently have a beta version available and intend to develop this into a pre-release version the coming days. 
Once stable, we will share a download location in this thread for people who are willing to invest some time ironing out bugs.

-- Gé --
Any volunteers for a pre-release owing a Class 2 USB Audio device?
Headphone out is still to be checked with our contact at Asus.
Hi,

Everyone with a free uSD card to use (or only here for volumio anyway), this is where you can download our first pre-release.
Volumio for Tinker Board Download location
Our contacts at Asus received and tested our images as well, we are working with them on open issues.

What works audio-wise:
- HDMI Audio Out
- 3.5" Audio Jack Out (Headphone)
- A number of Class 2 USB Audio devices
(i2s DAC's still under evaluation, updates to follow later)

Other support
- Fixed IP and DHCP (default HDCP)
- Music library on NAS via NFS
- Music library on NAS via SMB/ CIFS
- Music library on USB devices via AutoFS
- Music library on booted uSD device
- eth0 and built-in WiFi (with hotspot for first logon)
- Spotify (premium account required)

For all standard Volumio features, see the Volumio documentation documentation

Untested
-plugins (except Spotify)

Happy testing,

-- Gé --
Great stuff, will add it into the OS section !
http://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/thread-69.html
It's running beautifully straight out of the box. Will test it extensively from here on.

Almost everything works:
- NAS recognized, connected and playing
- Webradio all stations, no problem
Except: DSD 2.82 Mhz, 1 bit: it runs on the desktop, but no sound at all.
(05-15-2017, 08:28 PM)wrietvel Wrote: It's running beautifully straight out of the box. Will test it extensively from here on.

Almost everything works:
- NAS recognized, connected and playing
- Webradio all stations, no problem
Except: DSD 2.82 Mhz, 1 bit: it runs on the desktop, but no sound at all.

Thanks for the hint, I need to check if this image already has mpd 0.20 included (we have just switched from 0.19.9), it could be I missed it.
(05-05-2017, 08:11 AM)gkkpch Wrote: The Volumio Team is happy to announce support for Volumio on the Asus Tinkerboard platform.
It will be the first Audiophile Music Player available for the Tinkerboard.

Volumio is a free and Open Source Linux Distribution, designed and fine-tuned exclusively for music playback. 
This is made possible by Volumio’s UI: a web applications that runs on any device with a browser, and that allows an easy and intuitive control of your playback sessions. 
All communications between the webapp and Volumio will happen through your home network.

FEATURES
  • Minimal operating system, tailored for Bit-Perfect Audio Playback
  • Works with any USB 2.0 DAC
  • Supports all filetypes: FLAC, Alac, Aac, Vorbis, Mp3, DSD, DSF, WAV, WV, APE etc.
  • UPNP Playback
  • Airplay Playback
  • DSD Over PCM support, for non Direct-DSD compatible hardware
  • Integrated WebRadio directories
  • If a compatible wireless hardware is found, Volumio will create an hotspot network for first configuration
  • Mount CIFS and NFS Network Attached Storage, with an auto-discovery function
  • Custom playlist editing and creation
  • Plugin support with new functions available like Spotify and Digital Room Correction
  • Seamless update system: no need to reinstall when a new version is available
  • Multilanguage support with a growing number of translations available
  • Image background support, even your favourite one
  • Alarm and sleep function
For more information, see Volumio Home

We currently have a beta version available and intend to develop this into a pre-release version the coming days. 
Once stable, we will share a download location in this thread for people who are willing to invest some time ironing out bugs.

-- Gé --

Ok,

First and Foremost; THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

I have been racking my brains for 3 days trying to get the USB audio to my Schiit DAC's to work properly with the Tinker Board. I was literally just moments away from throwing this thing through the wall when I came across this thread.

I have tried every other OS you can think of with the Tinker Board. The ASUS distribution, Armbian, DietPi, MoodeAudio, etc... Every single one has problems with connecting to my Schiit DAC's via USB (Modi 2 Uber, Modi 2 Multibit, and Bifrost Multibit). Basically it sounded like computer speakers when you had an old cell phone next to them and a phone call would come in. Just wobbly and like data was missing.

I tried adjusting the PulseAudio Fragments, I tried several combinations of dwc_otg configurations including:

dwc_otg.fiq.lpm_enable=0
dwc_otg.fiq_enable=1
dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_enable=1
dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_mask=0x3
dwc_otg.fiq_split_enable=0
dwc_otg.sped=1

I even purchase a Female RCA Bulkhead connection so that I could solder up the S/PDIF pin on the board to get audio. The most frusterating thing was that it always worked perfectly on my Leckerton UHA-6S MKII and my Oppo HA-2SE, but never with my Schiit DAC's. I tried different USB cables, ferrite chokes, and even one of those AudioQuest JitterBugs. I have spent far more time, effort, and money over the last 4 days trying to get this to work...

So came across this thread while researching the dwc_otg.fiq_split_enable=0 functionality some more. Not sure exactly how I got here, but someone linked to you guys. It is pretty late at night and I thought, what the hell, I'll try this last build and if it does not work I may stomp on this stupid board.

Well, it works PERFECTLY! Exactly as it should without any modifications needed. It does not matter what cable I use, ferrite choke or not, JitterBug or not; it just works properly with all of my DAC's.

My only complaint. I swear this is tiny after what you have done for me...

I wish you had the option to have Roon Endpoint installed from your awesome web interface. I did not find it hard to manually install through the console. It would just be nice.

Thank you very much again,

Raymond Tayse
They have good technical details on how Volumio was ported here:

https://volumio.github.io/docs/Porting_Guide/Example:_Porting_To_The_Asus_Tinkerboard.html
(06-02-2017, 08:55 AM)Mikerr Wrote: They have good technical details on how Volumio was ported here:

https://volumio.github.io/docs/Porting_Guide/Example:_Porting_To_The_Asus_Tinkerboard.html

@Mikerr: sorry about this, but the pages do not reflect the porting process as it was finally done. 
I switched from armbian to the tinkerboard repo as it suited our purposes a lot better.
The DOC pages will be updated soon...

@Raymond: you're welcome...

-- Gé --
there's an io login when I insert my sd card. what should I do?