This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Banana Pi M3 vs ASUS Tinker Board
I'm a little unsure what board to buy here. The Banana Pi M3 seems to have a faster CPU, with eight cores compared to a quad core on the Asus tinker board but im really not sure about the raw performance. I haven't been able to find a comparison between the two performance wise.

Can someone point me in the right direction or maybe even tell the difference if you happen to have both boards? People here will probably point me towards a Tinker Board.. But i would like to know why :-)

I already have a Raspberry Pi 1, 2 and 3 but want to try something else :-)
Price usually is the deciding factor for me. the M3 is around a 1/3 to 2/3's more.£70-100 in the UK.
Tinkerboard uses ARM A17 /rk3288

Banana pi M3 uses an older A7, albeit 8 cores in A38T 

Nearest comparison is here:

https://liliputing.com/2014/12/allwinner...c2107.html

[Image: a83t-benches-e1418412992667.jpg?resize=691%2C402]
(04-29-2017, 12:00 PM)tinkerthis Wrote: Tinkerboard uses ARM A17 /rk3288

Banana pi M3 uses an older A7, albeit 8 cores in A38T 

Cortex-A17 cores are way more performant than those el cheapo A7 CPU cores especially when looking at single thread performance (what you most probably should do since running benchmarks on all available CPU cores is rather stupid if your real world workloads only use 1 to 3 threads in reality, then an 8 core CPU looks better in benchmarks but performs worse in reality).

Banana Pi M3 might be the worst SBC out there due to horrible software and non existing support (check Banana Pi forums first, then you know what to expect: an awful lot of problems and zero solutions).

And there's another difference. On BananaPi M3 the management was also that stupid in the beginning to use Micro USB on the first production batches which resulted in all the under-voltage problems you poor Tinkerboard owners are now plagued with. It took the Banana people months and a lot of complaining to fix the mistake and to revert back to the only reasonable choice for powerful boards: Using a sane barrel plug and selling the board together with a good 5.2V/3A PSU. 

So unlike Tinkerboard the BPi M3 now can show its hardware potential while the Tinkerboard always suffers from insufficient powering due to Micro USB: http://linux-sunxi.org/Banana_Pi_M3#Powe..._connector
re usb and power.......i'm not suffering any problems. At all..
(05-16-2017, 08:55 PM)boudicca Wrote: re usb and power.......i'm not suffering any problems. At all..

Really? Can you please run a simple benchmark for me and provide the numbers as outlined here: https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/top...ment=31953

(if you're not using Armbian it's a little bit harder since installing cpuminer is not that convenient). The RK3288 CPU cores should be able to score +8 khash/sec. How much do you get? Or do you have a Tinkerboard limited to 1.0 GHz?
Not sure about that.
But I have lots of different adapters, they all work very well without any issue.
(include burning Tinker)

PS. I burned my Tinker by runing my OpenCV code or else test (4 core 100% loading and freq. almost keep 1.8 GHz).
And I use glmark2 to test GPU with OpenGL too. (need to add a fan to cool down SoC's thermal)

I thought we need to check our USB charger is a "Good" one.
Because P = I x V.
So we need to check "Power (w)" is enough as V (Voltage) * I (Current).
But V = I x R.
And we as a user can't always measure cable's quality (Resistance), so may need charger support boost V (Voltage) up to keep I (Current).
But if the output power of the charger is still not enough, when we get more current (2A+) then voltage goes down is make sense.

Go back to Smart Phone, USB charger have the same problem, if use not good enough charger. May need more charging time or else, because charger and cables's poor quality. (So I always bought a better charger when I choose)

So? We may need a better charger & cables too.

Charger maybe use Anker? or choose a reliable branded product.
And cables I agree need to check AWG. But sometime maybe cable's copper still is not pure enough or cable is too long.
So sometime I may asked to provide test report before I buy it. (and after testing from myself, if it's good enough, I will keep buy the same cables.)
(05-17-2017, 10:38 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(05-16-2017, 08:55 PM)boudicca Wrote: re usb and power.......i'm not suffering any problems. At all..

Really? Can you please run a simple benchmark for me and provide the numbers as outlined here: https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/top...ment=31953

(if you're not using Armbian it's a little bit harder since installing cpuminer is not that convenient). The RK3288 CPU cores should be able to score +8 khash/sec. How much do you get? Or do you have a Tinkerboard limited to 1.0 GHz?

No...it just works........Lets say I'm more interested in what works, than what breaks it.

Short usb cables. 0.5 meter max. 2.4amp 5 port 50w ya is good for 4k with desktop.

That's what works for me.

edit:linaro@tinker:~$ uptime
20:20:22 up 25 days, 39 min, 2 users, load average: 0.17, 0.08, 0.01
I have both... I'm debating on sending back the M3. Here's my observations on why:

The Tinker Board worked first try with the 1.8 operating system, has what seems to be a decent distro for the OS and almost exactly fits Raspberry Pi cases and hats. I've had it running for about 3 days so far with no issues.
The M3 is still in the box... I've seen numerous reports about it being hampered by CPU throttling due to power and heat issues. There are lots of instructions on how to fix this, but most of them revolve around building your own kernel. That's currently way beyond my ability. I'm debating just putting a basic Mint build or something on a card just to see what the M3 will do but I'm not sure I'll get to it any time soon, as I'm relatively happy with the Tinker Board.
(04-28-2017, 11:32 PM)Da9L Wrote: I'm a little unsure what board to buy here. The Banana Pi M3 seems to have a faster CPU, with eight cores compared to a quad core on the Asus tinker board but im really not sure about the raw performance. I haven't been able to find a comparison between the two performance wise.

Can someone point me in the right direction or maybe even tell the difference if you happen to have both boards? People here will probably point me towards a Tinker Board.. But i would like to know why :-)

I already have a Raspberry Pi 1, 2 and 3 but want to try something else :-)

The Cortex A17 (Tinker) is an upgraded Cortex A7 (Banana).
Banana Pi has onboard Mic while the Tinker Board has a 3.5mm jack (headphones) for input and output.
Banana Pi has 2 USB 2.0 ports, Tinker Board has 4 USB 2.0 ports.
The Mali T764 (OpenGL3.2) (Tinker) is vastly superior to the PowerVR (Banana) (OpenGL2.0)
Banana Pi has an 8GB emmc storage onboard, Tinker board doesn't have any onboard storage.
Both have Wifi, BT, and 1GB Ethernet

The only thing the Banana has over the Tinker is 8 older cores versus 4 newer cores and onboard storage. Everything else is in favor of the Tinker.

The Tinker Board is the better product. Especially since it is a giant corporation supporting it.