This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Micro SD Card Failure?
Initially I had two Tinker Boards running with their Debian 7 version of Tinker OS over a year ago. Once I had finished the little project I had stored the boards (with micro SD's still in place) back in their ESD bags and in their box. Just pulled them back out to get them up an running for a new project and went to boot them. One booted with a kernel panic, the other wouldn't boot. I swapped SD cards around and the issues followed the SD cards, so I know the boards are not some how hosed. 

From there I went and took the micro SD cards out and downloaded the latest Tinker OS from one of the links I found on Google as the OS download page on one of the initial ASUS sites I went to wasn't working. Went to flash the first card with a USB adapter (not a micro SD to SD adapter) and loaded everything up in Etcher. Started the flash, and at some point it failed. The card was now in a locked state and I couldn't get it out of that state with Windows disk part, SD card formatter, or Disk Manager. Through some Googling someone said to try another USB port, oddly enough from there I was able to see the card in another state besides locked. I was unable to view the size of the SD card or able to format it with the right click option on the disk in Windows. I was able to reflash the card with another attempt at the OS. Second attempt was also reported as a failure in Etcher. I tried the other micro SD and ran into the same issue. Thinking it was the OS source file causing an issue, I redownloaded it and ran into the same issue and even tried a few other sources. From there I gave up on Tinker OS and tried Armbian, the issue persisted in Etcher as it kept telling me that the flash failed as the checksums didn't match.

Anyone run into this?
> The card was now in a locked state and I couldn't get it out of that state with Windows disk part, SD card formatter, or Disk Manager

This is almost a typical way of SD card death. I trashed a dozens of high quality SD cards in the past few years. Death is a natural event Wink

> Through some Googling someone said to try another

Don't believe every BS you read on the internet Smile

> Thinking it was the OS source file causing an issue

It is. With Armbian your SD card should live way longer due to many SD card optimisations.
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic for Tinker Board.
Ugh, I just have no idea why they died. Can a 'stale' SD card just give out?
(09-18-2019, 03:36 PM)Tihsho Wrote: Ugh, I just have no idea why they died. Can a 'stale' SD card just give out?

They died because they were not designed for such (running OS) application. And because flash media has short life by default. And because there are a lot of fakes and because you probably bought cheap product ...
Armbian. Lightweight Debian Stretch or Ubuntu Bionic for Tinker Board.
[-] The following 1 user Likes igorpec's post:
  • cardell