This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Tinkerboard compatible with Yunohost (Grav + Discourse)?
I started to dedicate one of my RPi Yunohost servers to making a website.

I discovered Grav and loved it, but it doesn’t include a forum plugin, so I looked for one.
Now the one forum app I knew on top of my head was Discourse, so I chose to download that on my RPi3, but then was told I needed at least 1Gb of free RAM.
Since RPi3 only has 1Gb of RAM, I thought that what I would need is a better monocarte.
So I bought an ASUS Tinkerboard, installed yunohost on it, but it crashes not long after boot. I think it’s due to overheating.
I have tried underclocking it by setting the frequency real low

cpufreq-set -u 408MHz

But the temperature still reaches too high at 46°C when I SSH into it and thus crashes.
Max acceptable is 45°C.
Now I still use RPi3 power supply, though I bought a power supply designed for Tinker that I will get tomorrow.

I hope this will solve the issue..

I’m no longer sure if I’m doing the correct thing by having bought the Tinkerboard.
It does have 2 Gb of RAM, so it definitely is good enough to run Discourse on it.
But is buying the Tinkerboard a good idea if it overheats so much ?
Also, Yunohost supports Raspberry Pi’s more than they do Tinkerboards.

Am I doing something wrong that it overheats so much ?
(03-25-2019, 07:18 AM)folaht Wrote: I started to dedicate one of my RPi Yunohost servers to making a website.

I discovered Grav and loved it, but it doesn’t include a forum plugin, so I looked for one.
Now the one forum app I knew on top of my head was Discourse, so I chose to download that on my RPi3, but then was told I needed at least 1Gb of free RAM.
Since RPi3 only has 1Gb of RAM, I thought that what I would need is a better monocarte.
So I bought an ASUS Tinkerboard, installed yunohost on it, but it crashes not long after boot. I think it’s due to overheating.
I have tried underclocking it by setting the frequency real low

cpufreq-set -u 408MHz

But the temperature still reaches too high at 46°C when I SSH into it and thus crashes.
Max acceptable is 45°C.
Now I still use RPi3 power supply, though I bought a power supply designed for Tinker that I will get tomorrow.

I hope this will solve the issue..

I’m no longer sure if I’m doing the correct thing by having bought the Tinkerboard.
It does have 2 Gb of RAM, so it definitely is good enough to run Discourse on it.
But is buying the Tinkerboard a good idea if it overheats so much ?
Also, Yunohost supports Raspberry Pi’s more than they do Tinkerboards.

Am I doing something wrong that it overheats so much ?

Overheat is problem when you have bad cooling solution- under load i think is tinkerboard in better for active cooling or bigger cooler than stock-
 so in first way try to instal fan at least for testing if overheat is really this problem. 
Btw isnt you try to look for some log file where could be explanation?
btw: by quick search on google i find plenty guys who have working temps about 55-60 without any problem. Manufacturer of chip have 85 celsius as maximum working temp in his manual. so its only my fell but i think that your problem is somewhere else
Thank you very very much !  Smile
It turns out that the problem lied with me and SSH security.
I had not added public keys to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys, so I would either get a password prompt or a full block.
Yunohost has put a limit to password attempts even when successful and blocks any further attempts.
And I kept logging in and out to look at the temperature stat..   Blush
[-] The following 1 user Likes folaht's post:
  • Noraxus